At City Plumbing, we work hard to ensure all our customers can make informed decisions when it comes to their property’s plumbing and HVAC systems. Here are answers to some of the most common questions we receive:
Frequently Asked Questions
Our friendly experts at City Plumbing are always happy to answer your plumbing and HVAC questions. Call us today for quality service in the Greater Philadelphia or South Jersey area.
Which Is Better: Ductless Mini-Split or Central Air Conditioner System?
- One HVAC system may serve you better than the other, depending on your needs. As their name suggests, central air conditioners are suited for cooling a large part of your property. However, these systems require ductwork. If your home or business doesn’t have enough space for air ducts or you only need a small part of your building cooled, a mini-split AC might be the better option. These HVAC systems can reduce your cooling costs by providing zoned cooling.
Why Do My Lights Flicker When I Turn On My Air Conditioner?
- Similar to cars, air conditioners use up a large amount of power to "get the engine running." The high electricity demand can temporarily disable nearby appliances—like your lights. Observe your lights the next time they start to flicker. If they dim for less than a second and only lose a fraction of their brightness, it's likely not a cause for concern. If the flickering is constant or the lights brighten or dim significantly, there might be an underlying electrical problem that needs immediate attention.
Why Does My Evaporator Coil Freeze Up?
- Common causes of frozen evaporator coils include restricted airflow, debris buildup, and low refrigerant levels. If you’re having ongoing problems with your evaporator coil, it also may need to be replaced. Give us a call! We can complete a full inspection and offer quick repairs.
Why Is My Heat Pump Compressor Not Running?
- A clogged condenser coil can prevent your heat pump compressor from working properly. If you recently cleaned or replaced your filters and don't see any blockages in the supply vents and condenser coils, it's time to call our friendly technicians for assistance.
How to Clear My Drain Pipes Without Chemicals?
- At City Plumbing, we have the skills, experience, and equipment to handle even the toughest clogs. We generally don’t recommend DIY solutions for clogged drains because using the wrong tool or cleaning solution can worsen the issue and even damage your pipe linings.
Why Is My Water Heater Leaking Gas?
- Pipe or fitting damage are the most common causes of water heater gas leaks. A gas leak is an emergency and can be very dangerous. Please turn off the gas to the unit, if you can, open nearby windows, vacate the area, and call us as soon as possible.
Why Is My Sump Pump Making a Humming Noise?
- If your sump pump makes a humming noise outside of its usual operational sounds, a clogged vent hole or faulty check valve are likely culprits. We recommend having your pump inspected at least once a year to prevent these issues.
If you have more questions or would like to schedule an HVAC or plumbing service in the Greater Philadelphia or South Jersey area, please reach out to our friendly team at City Plumbing. Call 215-470-3638!