In Philadelphia, PA our winters can get brutal, with temperatures frequently dipping below freezing. To keep us warm and safe, we rely on our home’s heating systems to properly do their job and provide us with the heat we deserve. One essential component that could be putting your comfort at risk is your boiler. At City Plumbing, we offer dependable boiler services ranging from repairs to replacements, ensuring you have consistent warmth and peace of mind in your home.
As your heating experts, we also work with all major appliances and offer furnace tune-ups as the ideal preparation for the winter season.
How Do Boilers Work?
If you rely on a boiler to keep you warm during the winter, there’s a good chance you’ve asked yourself how these essential systems do their job. Boilers aren’t as complex as they may sound. They are made up of seven components: a boiler burner, heat exchanger, supply lines, return lines, a firebox, a refractory, and circulator pumps.
When you power your boiler on, a valve opens to release gas through small jets and into a combustion chamber located within the boiler tank. Next, an electric ignition system lights the jets which work with a heat exchanger to heat up the water to a set temperature.
Then, the system carries hot water to each radiator which waits to be reheated. The circulator pumps then allow the water to travel back up to begin the process again. While there are plenty of moving parts in the system, it’s one of the best ways to enjoy a comfortable heated home in the winter.
Signs Your Boiler Needs Repairs
Just like any other HVAC system, boilers occasionally experience malfunctions and require the attention of a professional boiler repair company. If you experience any of the following occurrences, it’s time for repair services:
- Unit Powers Off By Itself: A boiler that switches off by itself is definitely in need of repairs. This can occur when there is a blockage in the way of the flowing water.
- No Heat: There are a number of reasons your boiler may be failing to provide your home with adequate heat. This can include a faulty thermostat, a broken diaphragm, or a damaged internal component. Whatever the culprit may be, your boiler needs the attention of a professional.
- Strange Noises: If your boiler is emitting loud, disruptive noises, this could be an indicator that there is buildup within your boiler system.
- Pilot Light Isn’t Blue: If your boiler is in good shape, the pilot light should emit blue light. If the color is any color other than blue, there’s a good chance something is off.
Any time your boiler malfunctions, it can quickly leave you with little to no heat. At City Plumbing, we are your reliable boiler repair experts. Our heating contractors take the time to troubleshoot and locate the cause of your problem, providing you with a long-term fix you can depend on throughout the winter.
Dealing with a heating issue that simply can’t wait for the morning? Our heating experts are available for emergency services, protecting your family when they need it most.
Benefits of Timely Boiler Replacement
For most homeowners in the Philadelphia County area, a boiler repair will always be the first course of action anytime there’s a malfunction in your system. However, opting for a boiler replacement can be a better choice not only for your home but also for your long-term comfort. Some of these perks include:
- Increased Efficiency: Your home’s boiler is responsible for about 60 percent of your entire energy bill. That’s why it’s extremely beneficial to invest in a more efficient boiler, as most modern boilers have an efficiency rate of over 90 percent.
- Quieter Operation: Older boilers are infamous for loud or disruptive sounds that can easily drive anyone mad. If you want a boiler that is relatively silent, invest in an upgrade today!
- Compact: Modern boilers are relatively smaller than their traditional counterparts that take up a lot of valuable storage space. If you have limited space within your home, investing in a compact unit may be a smart move for you!
Here at City Plumbing, we value the needs of our clients. For over two decades, our team of experts has been going above and beyond to cater to the greater Philadelphia area. Whether your current boiler is in need of repairs or you’re in the market for an upgrade, we can help.